By Presidium Decision on December 29, 1965, the Romanian Academy approved the foundation of the Center for Studies in History, Philology and Ethnography in Craiova, led by Professor C. S. Nicolaescu-Plopsor, Ph. D. (Dec. 29, 1965-May 30, 1968), a Corresponding Member of the Academy. In February 1970, the Center for Studies in History, Philology and Ethnography passed under the guidance of the ASSP, changing its name into the Center for Social Science. As a consequence, three new domains of interest were included: Economy, Sociology and Philosophy.
By Government Decision no. 625 of March 8, 1990, the Center for Social Science in Craiova was again referred to the Romanian Academy. In August 1994, it was renamed as the “C.S. Nicolaescu-Plopsor Institute for Studies in Social Sciences and Humanities. After the first manager passed away (May 30, 1968), the institute lead was taken over by Professor Gheorghe Ivanescu, Ph. D. (1969-1971), a Corresponding Member of the Academy. In February 1971, as Professor Ivanescu was transfered to the University of Iasi, the institute lead was taken over by Professor Dumitru Sandru, Ph. D. (1971-1972). The following managers were researcher Traian Florea Lungu (1972-1973), Professor Titu Georgescu, Ph. D. (1973-1975), and Professor Constantin Barbacioru, Ph. D. (1975-1979). In 1979, Reader Ion Patroiu, Ph. D. was appointed. In December, 1989, he was replaced by employee request, with researcher Gheorghe Popilian, who was later appointed manager by the Academy, in January 1990. He ran the Institute up until 1998, when, following a contest, Professor Vladimir Osiac, Ph. D. was appointed manager. In 2000, also as a result of a contest, Professor Cezar Avram, Ph. D. was appointed and is currently leading the Institute.
The Institute is organized into the following departments:
The Institute publishes annually two journals registered by the CNCSIS:
– The “Arhivele Olteniei” Journal, founded in 1922 by a committee led by Charles Laugier, Ph. D. and C. D. Fortunescu. The first issues were published during 1922-1943. The current issues (Arhivele Olteniei, New series) were first published in 1981. The journal was published annually, from the very beginning, in a 24 x 16 cm format, which is still currently used. The multidisciplinary journal publishes original material from a variety of fields: archeology, history, ethnography, philosophy, sociology, economy and law, addressing to research specialists, professors and students alike. At the moment, the “Arhivele Olteniei” Journal is collaborating with 36 other reputed publications world-wide.
– The “C.S. Nicolaescu-Plopsor” Institute for Studies in Social Sciences and Humanities Yearbook, founded in 1999 on the occasion of the C.S. Nicolaescu-Plopsor centennial, by a committee led by Professor Vladimir Osiac, Ph. D. The multidisciplinary journal is structured according to the Institute’s fields of research and aims at promoting Institute activity.
Address: Calea Unirii, nr 68, cod 200345, Craiova, Dolj, Romania
Phone: +40 0251 523330
Fax: +40 0251 525702 / 522652